Friday 11 December 2015

Various artists – transmissions from the planet dog (CD)




It was a cold Saturday afternoon. I was on St-Hubert Street shopping with my good friend Alexander Wheill. We enter Renaissance Montréal`s store. He`s looking at some second hand DVD`s while I`m checking out the used cassettes / CD section. While browsing I do a preliminary pile of stuff, it could be material which caught my attention (for a reason or another) or that I might buy right now (or never). This particular CD `transmissions from the planet dog` got my attention. I don`t remember at the time if it was the cool cover, a double CD compilation or the fact I never heard of any of the artists involved. I show the compilation to Alex and I remember that he said. This is an old school techno compilation it might be interesting. I figured for three dollars, it`s like a buck fifty per CD what`s the risk here. I come back home and put it on my huge pile of stuff to listen. The time has come, so let`s hear this shall we? It goes like this four artists on two CD`s. The first one consists of:
A – Eat Static; is an electronic music project from Frome, Sommerset, England formed in 1989 by Merv Pepler and Joie Hinton. They have five tracks of old school techno with elements of goa, dub, trance and world music. Standout track is # 3 `abduction` (7.55 minutes) = dub induced techno going into goa territory. 
B – Banco De Gaia is Toby Marks a producer from Leamington, Spa, Uk. There`s four songs of old school techno mixed with world music. I`m impressed by # 7 `mafich arabi ` Arabic sounds / elements colliding with old school techno, amazing music. On the second CD you`ll hear music from the likes off:
C – Timeshard are a Liverpool Uk-based band. They offer five tracks. They are a potent mix of minimal, ambient techno, goa, and dub. There`s no standout tracks. To be honest they all standout by themselves. I need to find more of Timeshard `s music. Yes it`s definitely that good.
D – Children Of The Bong (what a cool name) are a British electronic act. They have three songs of dance floor oriented dub techno. An extremely interesting double CD compilation. This one`s a keeper.



No comments:

Post a Comment