Sunday 15 March 2015

Hiroshima Yeah! # 119 (January 2015) (zine)


Came home last night so damned tired. Lo and behold there`s a parcel from good ole Mark Ritchie in me mailbox. Well go ahead make my day (copyright Dirty Harry, baby). HY! is a 8.5 by 11 inches cut and paste, black and white, monthly six pager zine. The cover star of this issue is Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley, The Postal Service, The Watson Twins, Jenny and Johnny). We begin with poems from `the metropolis of discontent`. My favorite poems this time around are:
Rarely Happy
I am rarely happy,
But your presence
Fills me with light,
Always.
And
Fake caveman chant
Make day go fast,
Night go slow.
I can relate to those two shorties for sure.  There`s also a couple of poems from the likes of Mitch Hell and Colin Scholl. We have some music, concerts (Sun Kil Moon & Disdain For The Ordinary) and book reviews. There`s our usual monthly episodes of `1.5 years on probation,` (Gary Simmons talks about life on the inside), `the birthday cards are mixed with condolence cards and the milk was delivered in black bottles`(weird texting from Gary Simmons), and `Doctor Thornaby chapter 6`(A Willshaw). Simon Morris writes `My guide to love, sex and relationships`, in four points: crushes (been there done that), lust (still there), thwarted desire (perhaps), love (she broke my heart some time ago   there`s a black hole in my soul which serves as a reminder). Last but not least there`s `Kate`, written by Hirohima Yeah!`s head honcho Mark Rithchie. A strange short story about routine, alienation  (in a relationship), murder / suicide, with possible ties with paranoid schizophrenia. Hey, you have to read this to believe it. Contact: 
Mark Ritchie
94 Main Street
Forth, Lanark
ML11 8AB
UK

 

No comments:

Post a Comment