Thursday 21 April 2016

Dosh – drones from home (CD)



I found this in the DVD section at Renaissance Montréal. The lowbrow look (it was inside a homemade cardboard CD box) and the album title `drones from home`. What else is there to say? I love drones and I`m a sucker for homemade recordings. For 2.00 $, I had to buy it. That Sunday afternoon I bought 12 CD`s and 6 DVD`s. I go back home put all of these items in my big pile of `to listen / review `things. Martin Chavez Dosh grew up in Minneapolis, MN, USA. He toured and provided drums, keyboards and various noise bytes for a couple of indie rock bands: Fog, Lateduster, Redstart, Vicious Vicious and T. He teaches children how to make music. Dosh is the name of his solo music project. This is his tenth album (11 tracks = 42.38 minutes). It was self-release in 2008. I was expecting drones and perhaps some type of ambient music. At first listen, I`m disappointed. This is not what I expected at all. The music here is lo-fi, homemade i.e. meticulously created. It`s a mixture of different styles: minimal introspective electronica, homemade IDM, near ambient music, weird / quirky / slightly warped bedroom / garage electronics and lo-fi minimalism. In order to appreciate something you have to give it a chance to soak inside. After repeated listens, I have to admit this album grows on me. This is excellent music. One particular song simply took my head off;
4 – Wolves (5.30 minutes) = it starts-off with lo-fi ambient noise which slowly segues into experimental electronica with trumpet included. Wow! More information here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosh_(musician)
And here:
http://www.anticon.com/artist/dosh

No comments:

Post a Comment