Friday 23 January 2015

Bill Laswell – imaginary Cuba (CD)


This was on top of my pile of music to listen / review.  That pile keeps getting bigger and bigger every day. There is so much music / noise to listen and less time to actually enjoy it. This is my second Bill Laswell music experience (earlier on I heard / reviewed   Hashisheen – the end of law CD, a magnificent album). `Imaginary Cuba`, was released on Wicklow Records in 1999. There`s 15 tracks for a total running time of 58.16 minutes. The music consists of various jam sessions from Cuba mixed with Bill`s unique bass playing (heavy, in a dubish way but always groovy and melodic).  I hear some piano, some singing and lots of percussions. The beat never stops, be it Afro-Cuban at times, or it mostly sounds like tribal drumming (me love tribal drumming very, very, very much). If I could find a proper definition for this album, I would say it falls under the spectrum of `world music`, if such a term actually means anything. This recording offers an amazing mix of: Cuban music, jazz, ethnic dub / ambience with lots of dubish bass grooves. It`s definitely a unique listening experience to say the least. If you manage to find this CD, buy it. After doing a little googling, I found out it`s available on: www.amazon.com
I recommend hearing this album during winter it will give you good summer vibes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment