Thursday 1 January 2015

Rebelski – thanks for your thoughts (CD)



Mid eighties up until late nineties I used to rent a lot of old school VHS at my small neighborhood video club. I`ve seen a lot of movies good ones, average ones, bad ones and really shitty ones. I love horror, animation, and science-fiction. Whenever I`d look at a movie I never rented, one of the things that would catch my attention right away was comments. I remember one particular science-fiction flick `Les Centurions An 01`. On the back cover it was written with huge deep red lettering `HEAVIER THAN MAD MAX!!! (George Miller).` I was hooked so I had to rent it.  Turns out it was a really crappy film. The real meaning of that comment was something like; `SHITTIER THAN ANYTHING YOU`VE RENTED BEFORE!!!! .` I never heard of Rebelski before. But when I read the following on his CD `Rebelski is the side project of Dove keyboard player Martin Rebelski. Astral electro / post-rock in the school of Mercurey Rev or Tortoise fused with the ambience of Brian Eno and Steve Reich`. Gimme a fucking break man. I was at Renaissance Montréal and they sell CD`s 3.00$ each. I figured if it`s bad I only paid 3.00$ for this instead of the usual 16.00$ and maybe more sometimes (especially when giving you the `this is an import` excuse), if I get screwed, I get screwed for cheap here. I go home open up a cold beer, sit down and start listening right away. The first track `Three`is a nice piece of melancholic downtempo electronics.  The next piece `Scarecrow`is a dark kinda funkish/ near disco hot little  number (definitely the standout track). There`s eight songs on this album. I can`t pick up a bad one, which is rare. On this recording lots of instruments are at work here: bass, drums, piano, keyboards, guitar, cello, accordion, melodica, electronic samples and violin. The end result is an album of dense, melancholic, emotional, highly orchestrated (almost Morricone  at times if that`s a possibility  / probability)  slightly ambient chilled-out soundscapes. I have to find some more me like this very very much. My only complaint is with a total running time of about half an hour it`s rather short (thus the expression short and sweet).                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment