Monday 7 September 2015

Erik Satie – the best of (CD)

I bought this at Renaissance Montréal for a measly three dollar. I heard Erik Satie was a precursor of ambient music. I purchased it out of sheer curiosity. Erik Satie (1866-1925) was a French composer and pianist. To be honest I`m not much into piano. So far, I like the following piano oriented music:
A – old jazz.
B – Johnny Fingers (The Boomtown Rats) performing `I don`t like Mondays`.
C – Jools Holland doing an impressive piano solo on `uncertain smile` (The Thesoul mining,1983).
I`m sitting down, listening to this for the first time, good stuff. I`m hearing simple (basic, stripped down) instrumental melodies, using sometimes repetition, other times he uses silence (not abusing it), thus creating light, beautiful minimal, nearly / almost ambient music. His music possesses a beautiful melancholic some would say gothic style. I think that perhaps some members of Sisters Of Mercy, The Cure and Joy Division heard his music before. So before Robert Myles `children`(1995), Brian Eno`s `ambient 1music for airports `(1978) there was life after all. Which goes to show you that the world keeps reinventing / recycling itself. When something new / fresh comes out, look in the past it`s not that new. It`s all been done (Barenaked Ladies) before. You can get it here free: 
More freebies here:  
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Erik%20Satie%20AND%20mediatype%3Aaudio

No comments:

Post a Comment