Sunday 27 September 2015

Mourmansk150 – triumphant over your remains (CD)



It was a hot Sunday afternoon. I`m record hunting on Mont-Royal street, there`s a lot a great second hand record / book stores in that area. I`m scoping out the electronic music Cd`s when lo and behold, I see an Mourmansk150 CD. I`m always surprised when I find a noise recording in a second hand shop. Noise is not a popular style, except in Japan. This album was stuck between a Chemical Brothers and Moby CD`s. I look at the price 5.00 $, good deal I`m thinking. I give the CD to the cashier, ready to pay. He looks at the album, looks at me with a weird face and says:
- This is not music, it`s noise.
- I know that, I like noise.
- You like noise?
- What you consider music could be noise for me ears and vice-versa.
- I guess you`re right. Not too many folks buy noise albums.
- Agreed.
- would you like me to put some noise on the side for you?
- Thanks, but it`s not necessary. I like to hear noise once in awhile.  I like Mourmansk150. They`re interesting.
- Ok then.
At the end of the day, I bought ten albums. I come home all sweaty and all take a shower and lay down on me couch. There`s thirteen songs of power electronics / experimental noise. While not re-inventing the wheel, this is an interesting album. They use a potent mix of noise + voice and / or power electronics + voice. I enjoyed the listening experience. Standout tracks of the moment are:
5 – Untitled (20 seconds) = nice short instrumental drone / noise bursts.
7 – Untitled (28 seconds) = nice nearly ambient noise material.
9 – Untitled (4.53 minutes) = some type of banging going on + voice + lo-fi noise rumblings, I like it, I like it, I like it. Other Mourmansk150 recordings I recommend (if you can find them):
A РT̩moignages et documents (their first album various experimentations at work here).
B – Autopsy (on Smell The Stench).
http://www.smellthestench.net/
More information here: http://www.mourmansk150.org/index0.html
Here:             
https://myspace.com/mourmansk150
And here:
http://nordwaves.fr/index.php?title=Mourmansk150

No comments:

Post a Comment