Tuesday 24 November 2015

Deep Forest – Deep Forest (CD)




I bought this for a couple of almost logical reasons.
1 – The price was cheap (2.00 $ at Renaissance Montréal).
2 – The cover looked cool.
3 – I heard the name Deep Forest before.
4 – Did I mention the price?                                             
Deep Forest is Éric Mouquet and Michel Sanchez a French duo based in the north of France. They have sold more than 2 million albums in USA. Deep Forest are known worldwide as the precursors of `Global Pop`. A hybrid mix of: world music, ambient, tribal, electronic, techno and new age. This is their first release. The album came out in 1992, so it`s not recent music. This is my first Global Pop listening experience. If I could describe this album in one word, I would use the term sensuous. The music makes me think of old Silvia Kristel movies (from Utrecht, Netherlands 1952-2012). If the name doesn`t ring a bell, in the seventies she starred in a couple of Emmanuelle movies. Those where classic European soft-core erotic movies with a good dose of sensuality. My standout tracks are:
2 – Sweet lullaby (3.58 minutes) = an international hit world music + new age = what else is there to say.
3 – Hunting (3.27) = world music + techno = for once I actually feel like dancing.

Tracks 5 (the first twilight) and 8 – (white whisper) = ambient world music anyone? A good first album. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment