Sunday 17 January 2016

The best of The Jam – 20th century masters of the millennium collection (CD)




The Jam were an English punk / rock /mod revival band active for a period of six years (1976-1982). I discovered them around 1982. At the time I was listening to Montréal`s own rock station CHOM-FM. In those years they played more than rock music. The new music scene was just beginning. UK bands got some airwave time back then: The Clash, Icicle Works, Tears For Fears, The Fixx, Simple Minds, Modern English, XTC, The English Beat and The Jam. To name a few. I felt in love with the song `a town called malice `from `the gift `(sadly their last album). It sounded like motown mixed with the energy of punk rock / mod. I put this song on a mixtape and completely forgot about it. Last Sunday afternoon my good friend Pierre and me are at Renaissance Montréal hunting for second hand DVD`s / CD`s. I`m browsing through piles and piles of CD`s. That`s when I see this `the best of The Jam `compilation. I look at the song titles. The compilation ends with, yes you`ve guessed it `a town called malice`. I look at the price tag two dollars. Half an hour later I`m sitting home discovering / rediscovering The Jam. The music still sounds good. Those tunes aged well, the vibe, the energy is there. They must have influenced lot of bands back then and even today. Their sound blends various musical influences: soul, punk, mod, rhythm and blues, new wave, psychedelic rock and perhaps 1960s beat music. I want some more.   

No comments:

Post a Comment