Sunday 17 January 2016

Vorpal – digressions (CD)



Varpal is the solo music project of one Andrew Kozloski. He released three album under that moniker. Digressions came out in 2006. The end, his third album, 2007. Then he seems to have called it quits. He has a website http://www.vorpalmusic.com/ but it doesn`t have much information. There`s 15 instrumental tracks on this album for a running time of 59.04 minutes. I purchased this at Renaissance Montréal for two dollars. Upon seeing this CD my spider sense was tingling. The cool futuristic cover made me think of Philippe Druillet`s artwork. I looks like electronic music, so I bought it. I come back home open a cold beer, sit down and start listening. It took me a couple of listens to appreciate it. This is abstract electronic music going into IDM territory with a good quantity of broken beats. My standout tracks are:
6 – Latenight drunken email (5. 04 minutes) = nice funky IDM.
9 – Jessica in the sky with diamonds (4.38 minutes) = broken beats + IDM with funk elements = chill out material.

10 – Rene eespere`s trivium lovingly reimagined (3.28 minutes) = melancholic IDM with more broken beats = tears roll down my face. An interesting album with some influences / traces / elements of glitch, acid, eight bit, funk and techno. Interesting spicy, sweet and sour sonic stew indeed.            

No comments:

Post a Comment