Thursday 3 March 2016

Various Artists – before you were punk (CD)



I got this one a t local Renaissance Montréal store for 2.00 $ (cheaper than a pack of smokes or a beer). I`m a sucker for compilations especially when it`s electronic music. Which is not the case here. This is a punk rock tribute to 80s new wave. I look at the song titles and I`m hooked immediately. Anybody remembers the following hits and /or one hit wonders like?
I melt with you (Modern English)
Turning Japanese (The Vapors)
In between days (The Cure)
Happy loving couples (Joe Jackson)
Pretty in pink (The Psychedelic Furs)
Goody two shoes (Adam Ant)
Dancing with myself (Billy Idol)
Crash (The Primitives)
Peace, love and understanding (Elvis Costello)
Walking in LA (Missing Persons)
Young Turks (Rod Stewart)
867-5309, Jenny (Tommy Tutone)
An interesting choice of songs indeed. Every version is top notch my favorites ones are:
2 – No use for a name – turning Japanese = even better than the real thing.
3 - Face to face – in between days = a punkier version indeed.
8 - Blink 182 – dancing with myself = a less commercial more in your face version now where talking punk here. I would love to hear some bands / artists do their own versions of the following songs:
-Working nights (The Camberwell Now)
-Big man restless (Kissing The Pink
-Whole lotta Rosie (AC / DC)
-Spiritwalker (The Cult)
-Hard times (The Human League)
-Space age love song (A Flock Of seagulls)
-it`s not me talking (A Flock of Seagulls)

No comments:

Post a Comment