Sunday 10 July 2016

Thievery Corporation – the richest man in Babylon (CD)




The third album from this Washington, DC, USA band consisting of Rob Garza & Eric Hilton. There`s a lot of eclectic and famous bands / artists originating from Washington, DC, for instance; Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Duke Ellington, Rites Of Spring, Jawbox, Deep Dish, Unrest, Pussy Galore, Girls Against Boys and The Nation Of Ulysses. What an impressive list! This is the first time I hear a Thievery Corporation full album. When you look at worldwide corporate globalization / domination their name sounds like a bad joke, sarcasm or a prediction of things to come (you decide). The music is electronically oriented. It blends / mixes / mashes various styles / influences: future jazz, Latin, Middle East, dub, downtempo, lounge, funk, jazz and trip hop. Every track`s amazingly sequenced / orchestrated i.e. perfection. The whole shebang feels like a Superman comic book so perfect, so bland and boring. I respect Superman and Thievery Corporation it just doesn`t work for me. I still recommend this album, but I`m not gonna keep it.  Don`t get me wrong, it`s good music. Not my cup of tea, that`s all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment