Thursday 25 August 2016

Hiroshima Yeah| # 137 July 2016 (zine)



I come home from work tired, exhausted, sweating like a dog in heat (it`s warm and humid in Montréal this time of the year). I could smell that cold beer, I could feel it even though I didn`t open my front door yet. What is that? A small parcel from the UK. I hope it`s what I think it is. Damn straight. Copies of my favorite zine Hiroshima Yeah! Baby! Cover star of this July 2016 issue is Morrissey (no comments here, to each his / her own). HY! Is a 8.5 by 11, black & white, cut & paste, photocopied, monthly zine (6 pages of stuff this time around). There`s `fascism and rising crime `poetry department. My standout pieces are
Internal jukebox
I wonder if
The increasing number of people
Who constantly hook themselves up
To Ipods and smartphones
Have the ability to access
Their internal jukebox,
To use their imagination,
At all,
Ever.
And
Nothing has been lost
We used to drink
On rooftops,
Under bridges,
On deserted football pitches,
Now we drink in pubs,
Houses,
The occasional restaurant,
But nothing has been lost,
Except youth.
Man, I can relate to that. Gary Simmons writes his barely intelligible monthly ramblings (13.98 billion years in hell), along with our monthly dose of the `Doctor Thornaby ` serial (your guess is has good as mine here). There`s a good quantity of music, books, publications and concert (Nadia Reid – Glasgow 04-07-2016, Neil Young + Promise Of The Real – Glasgow 05-07-2016 and Sun Kil Moon – Glasgow 21-07-2016) reviews. Sid Clark and François Marceau contributes some poems along the way. We end this zine with a shorty from Mark Ritchie `waste disposal`. Bashing the head of a pseudo-friend. I feel you. A couple of years ago I was discussing the same thing with a friend of mine. Maybe we were precursors of the movie The Purge without knowing it. Contact: donbirnam@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment