Sunday 29 May 2016

Fischerspooner – odyssey (CD)




I don`t follow trends and I don`t believe the hype either. I`m lying here. I followed trends twice in my life. In the early Eighties, I caught up with the blooming UK new music scene. I was into; Echo & The Bunnymen , Icicle Works, Gang Of Four, Siouxie & The Banshees, The Cure, The The and Tears For Fears. Later on, I flipped for The Seattle grunge movement. I was into; Tad, Screaming Trees Mudhoney, Green River, Green Magnet School, Les Thugs, Afghan Wigs, Love Battery, Cosmic Psychos, Dwarves, Poison Idea, Beat Happening Derelicts, and Nirvana. Nowadays, I read a lot about what`s trending but that`s it. So, when the electroclash movement appeared, I read about it. I heard on the internet some songs by the likes of; Add N To (X), Chicks On Speed, Fischerspooner, Freezepop, Miss Kittin & The Hacker, and Princess Superstar. But that was it. It`s a cold Sunday afternoon I`m at Renaissance Montréal, browsing through piles and piles of used CDs. Lo and behold I find this Fischerspooner album named `odyssey ` (their second effort). I buy it, go back home, fix myself a coffee, sit down on my big ass chair and let the games begin. After the first listen, it`s not bad but bit seems a little bland. Sometimes a second, a third, even a fourth listens needed in order to understand / appreciate something.  It worked for me midway through the second listen. The music is a mix of electro, rock, new wave and synth-pop. With such amazing hits like `just let go `, `never win `and `we need a war `. You can`t go wrong here infectious dance floor music. There`s three hidden tracks at the end. Everybody knows I love surprises and especially hidden tracks. Did you know Fischerspooner worked with big names such as Kylie Minogue and David Bowie. Now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment