Monday 27 February 2017

DJ Brokenwindow – parallel universe # 1 (CD)




I bought this CD at Renaissance Montréal, again. I mean, for 2.00$ how can I resist? I often purchase second hand albums of DJ`s. It gives me a chance to discover something new, challenging an interesting perhaps. DJ Brokenwindow is David Chandler, an American (Portland, Oregon, off all places) electronic music composer. He has a couple of solo music projects (Avid D, Mr. Pharmacist, David Chandler and Solenoid) he also plays in some bands (Hard Hearing & Office Products). I never heard his music before. I fix myself a coffee, sit down, put my headphones on, relax, and push the play button on me CD player. This is a nice and long album (23 tracks = 71.50 minutes). The music consists of mash-ups of electronic, leftfield, hip hop and disco music. Not re-inventing the wheel here, nonetheless this is interesting. I`m not much into mash-ups. I`m more into morph-ups i.e. morphing various sound sources altogether, then processing them beyond recognition, thus trying to create something new. There`s some good and average mash-ups. On a positive note, I`ll mention only the ones who caught my attention.
5 – Living on Vanilla Ice (3.59 minutes) = Instrumental - 'Living On Video' by Trans-X. Vocal - 'Ice Ice Baby' by Vanilla Ice.
7 – Oh Yeah, uh uhn (3.20 minutes) = Instrumental - 'Oh Yeah' by Yello. Vocal - 'Uh Uhh (Acapella)' by Twise.
15 – Der cookie und der prinz (1.34 minutes) = Instrumental - 'Der Rauber Und Der Prinz' by Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft. Vocal - 'C Is For Cookie' by Cookie Monster/Sesame Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment