Monday 27 February 2017

Hiroshima Yeah! # 143 – January 2017 (zine)



Amy Winehouse (1983-2011) is the cover star of my favorite full size, black & white, photocopied, cut & paste monthly five pager. We begin with poetry and `the cold straight world of men`. Standout pieces are
Waiting
I always seem
To be waiting.
Waiting for someone
To turn up at a pub.
Waiting for the next
Cold, cruel dawn
Waiting to feel something
Other than this ache,
This feeling that gnaws
At my innards
Continuously.
Waiting for happiness.
Perhaps I am waiting
For death.
And
Large windows
Through large windows
I watch the day
Disappear.
And
My fallen comrades
We practiced.
We played.
We drank.
We laughed.
Going nowhere together.
Those moments
Are always with me
Through all
The rough times.
My fallen comrades,
I salute you all.
And finally
Ornament revisited
In the past,
I`ve been mistaken
For an ornament,
And that`s how
I want to be
Most of the time;
Unseen,
Unnoticed,
Left alone
To quietly
Gather dust.
Feels like pure poetry to me. There`s our `18.82 billion years of hell `monthly column from Gary Simmons. We have some music and DVD reviews as well. Some more poetry from the likes of Sid Clark, Mitch Hell & Gary Simmons and a short story (freaks), from Mark Ritchie (da man in charge). We conclude this monthly insanity with some nice sketchbook entries by Andrew Willshaw. Get more info here: donbirnam@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment